Kimchi Cheese Sauce
- 5 tbsp vegetable shortening (or oil)
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 1/2 russet potato (thinly sliced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 jalapeno (sliced)
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 tbsp gochujang
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Korean chili powder (or paprika)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup cashews (soaked in water for 4 hours to overnight)
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp lactic acid (or lemon juice)
- 1 tsp pickled jalapeno juice
- 2 tsp kimchi juice
- 1 box brown rice pasta
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 tbsp + 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp agave
- 1/2 tbsp gochujang
- 1/2 cup kimchi (ripened)
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- In a small pot, melt vegetable shortening and add onions and garlic. Cook until softened. Then add potatoes, jalapeño, chipotle, gochujang and seasoning. Stir until potatoes start to soften and all vegetables are evenly coated.
- Deglaze the bottom of the pot with water and bring to boil. Cook until potatoes are tender.
- Empty contents of pot into high powered blender. Add remaining ingredients and blend on high for a few minutes, until creamy and smooth.
- Cook pasta until al dente. Reserve ~1/4 cup of pasta water before draining. In the same pot that you cooked the pasta with, add pasta and cheese sauce, as well as a little pasta water in case sauce gets too dry. Scoop pasta into oven safe container (I used two cast iron pans).
- For breadcrumb topping, mix breadcrumbs, salt, and 1/2 tbsp sesame oil until breadcrumbs are nicely coated. Sprinkle over the top of the pasta.
- Place in 450° oven until breadcrumbs are golden brown (15-20 minutes).
- In the meantime, heat up 1 tbsp of sesame oil in a small skillet. Add kimchi, gochujang, and agave and saute until kimchi is caramelized.
- Add caramelized kimchi to baked pasta. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.