A hearty and delicious vegan soup, perfect for a fall or winter home cooked meal with lots of flavor.
Ingredients for the soup:
500g/1lb white asparagus
2 yellow onions
2 garlic cloves
2 mini white pumpkins
1–2 tbsp vegan butter (or olive oil)
2 tsp vegetable broth paste
160mL full fat coconut milk or cream
1 tsp dried (or fresh) rosemary
Sea salt to taste
Ingredients for the shiitake bacon:
2 cups of shiitake mushrooms
1–2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp liquid smoke (or smoked salt)
1/4 tsp paprika or smoked paprika
1 pinch sea salt
Freshly ground pepper
Olive oil drizzle
- Preheat the oven to 400F/200C
- De-stem and slice the mushrooms thinly. Add them to a bowl and mix them with the oil, liquid smoke and seasonings until every mushroom is well coated. Place them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and bake them for approximately 25-30 minutes (check after 15-20 minutes, they should be crispy but not burned)
- While the shiitake bacon is baking, chop or dice the onions, mince the garlic and start sautéing both in a pot with the vegan butter (or oil) over medium heat (set a timer for 25 minutes)
- Wash the pumpkins and remove the seeds, then chop or dice them (no need to peel).
Add the pumpkin to the pot about 5 minutes after the onions and mix well.
- Peel the asparagus (just the first outer layer) and chop, then add to the pot 10 minutes into cooking.
- Next, add the coconut milk or cream, the water, vegetable broth paste and rosemary.
Lower the heat to low-medium and let simmer for 15 more minutes, making sure you stir well.
- After 25 minutes total, remove from heat and blend the soup using an immersion stick blender or a regular blender (just be careful – the soup will be very hot). Taste test and add a pinch of salt if necessary.
- Serve in a bowl with the shiitake bacon, an olive oil drizzle and freshly ground pepper and enjoy! Other serving suggestion: serve with a slice of toasted whole wheat bread with vegan butter.